Sunday, February 4, 2018

Black Panther (1998) #28

I don't watch Marvel's movies. I don't avoid them out of some sort of protest, they just don't appeal to me. They typically appear to be nothing but flashy explosions and one-liners. If there's any substance to most of them, it isn't immediately obvious.

This does not appear to apply to Black Panther, however. No doubt there are humourous moments, but the drama/action/humour ratio seems to be more on point.

Having seen good early reviews, I thought I would direct some of my attention to interaction between that character and the Avenging Son. This weekend, we look at issue #28 of the Panther's 1998 series. It is written by Christopher Priest, who's about as good as it gets.


Suggestion: I went back and purchased #27 after reading #28. While there is a clear attempt at catching up the reader in #28, reading the previous issue helps tremendously and I'm glad I did.

While no Marvel Comics fan by any stretch, I do like their ability to tell a political tale. Rulers of Latveria, Wakanda, Atlantis and others debating alliances and resolving conflict can be entertaining. I much prefer DC Comics, and have my entire life, but I don't find they can carry that aspect quite so well (even with their own Atlantis and Themiscyra, etc.). Or if they do, I haven't come across it.

Namor's appearance in #27 is minimal but his role is much more significant in #28. Summarizing it briefly would be difficult (and spoilerific) but suffice to say that someone is making it appear as though Wakanda is holding a child hostage (which he is, but with cause) and planning war (which he's not, of course). That war would affect water dwellers and naturally, that doesn't sit well with Namor.

Following a meeting of "world leaders" (Panther and Namor are joined by Magneto and a holographic projection of Dr. Doom, among others) in New York, Panther stops a robbery in progress. He is unaware that Wakanda is being made to appear as though they launched an attack against Atlantisd. That attack, false though it may be, irks Namor greatly and he seeks out King T'Challa right away.


After a brief skirmish, Magneto, of all people comes by to clarify things. The two accept the explanation and move on.

Namor's appearance is a short one, but a quality one. He takes no crap from Doom or Magneto, comfortable in his position, and has his people's well-being first and foremost in his words and actions. Good stuff from Priest, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment